Re: Dropping the WWW

by Kid Stevens <kstevens89(at)comcast.net>

 Date:  Tue, 06 Aug 2002 23:11:32 -0600
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
As a one time DNS Manager dropping the www is a no brainer or even making
it a w3.xxx.com.

A "kind of 'address Alias'" points to the real machine by name then IP address.
A PTR "PoinTeR record does IP to Name resolutions.
CNAME "Canonical NAME" another name for the machine already named with A.
Say A is hellraiser.com and also my web workstation so for testing of
webpages I set up a CNAME that says KidsTest.hellraiser.com is also the
same as the A name Hellraiser.com.  Now the stuff gets real hairy.
mail.hellraiser.com is an MX "Mail eXchange" record and can be the same
machine.
NS.hellraiser.com can also be the machine by using a PTR to the NS(Domain
Name Service, then A, then MX then CNAME.

So hell yes a DNS manager if trained well can make a a record or a CNAME
record to drop the www, and or optional give it the ability to be www, w3,
w2, w1 or any other subdomain designator.

On the Mac with Webstar, Webstar can do mail, Imap, ftp and Web services
for thousands of sites and users or only one of the services.  So an A
record points to that machine and a PTR record supplies the IP address for
that machine, then CNAME give me another entry point on the same machine.
The A name is the primary name of a machine or a service.

I include all of this to educate and also give you enough knowledge to
argue the case for no www.

--
Sincerely,
Kid Stevens

"Somehow There Must Be A Way Lets Find It."
-Steve Stevens

"Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find out how far they can go."
-T. Ellis